[GNC] Split Transactions

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Thu Oct 1 21:47:00 EDT 2020

On 9/30/20 6:53 PM, normanj wrote:
> I've been using Gnucash for a few years, but I'm far from being an expert
> user.
>
> One of my accounts is for a savings account which pays a monthly interest
> and, subject to some conditions, a "bonus" interest payment.  The bank used
> to report these as a single monthly payment so entering these into Gnucash
> was a straightforward transaction - a assets account for the balance and an
> income account for the interest.
>
> The bank has started reporting the base and bonus interest payments
> separately, and my first thought was to use a split transaction - two
> payments for the interest and two corresponding entries into the asset
> account.  However, when I save the transaction it is shown as two split
> transactions, each showing the same 4 numbers for both the regular and
> "bonus" interest, though the asset account balance is correct.  Any change I
> make to one transaction, including deletion, is immediately reflected in the
> other transaction.

I routinely have transactions with multiple splits going to the same
account.  I only see the one transaction with multiple splits.

Therefore, I think it must be an artifact of the type of register view
you have.  I am using the expanded view that shows all splits in the
transaction.  I suspect you are using a view that shows only the splits
that apply to the account you are viewing.

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com
kg7je at arrl.net