[GNC] withholding tax (Liz Dodd)

Paul W paul_w_007 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 1 22:14:05 EDT 2020

 Foreign Government A keeps this money and My Government B will credit this amount against my corporation tax liability.

My invoice is for the full amount, £100.

Usually (without WHT) when the invoice is paid the full amount is sent to my Accounts Receivable. In this case I think the way to do it is for gnucash to send £100 to Accounts Receivable then £80 will go from here to my Asset: Bank Account and £20 to Asset: WHT. How do I achieve this in gnucash?

Do you agree this is the way to do it?

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 05:41:31 +0000 (UTC)
Paul W via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:

> I invoice my client ?100 for services provided. They process my
> invoice and pay me the balance of ?80 after deducting 20% (?20)
> withholding tax which they give to foreign government A. How do I
> account for this withholding tax in gnucash?

Just think about how you record this with pen and ink....

But first, will you ever see the ?20 again?
Does Foreign Government A pay this back at some time?
Will you be credited this by your government instead?

According to the answer, that tells you how you might note this on
paper.

Until you have spoken to your accounting expert in your own country,
put this ?20 in an account of it's own, Asset:Withholding Tax:Country A

Later you move this to a preferred place in your account structure

Liz