[GNC] withholding tax (Liz Dodd)

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Fri Oct 2 11:10:25 EDT 2020

On 10/2/2020 12:18 AM, Paul W via gnucash-user wrote:
>   Stan,
>
> I see what you are saying. Practically I think I need to process the invoice payment twice, first part payment (80) to Accounts Receivable then another payment (20) to Assets: WHT. But I don't seem to have this ability in gnucash because when I process an invoice payment in the 'post to' box only has Assets: Accounts Receivable as an option in the pull down menu. Help!
>
> Paul

I don't use the business features so don't know if this is your problem.

BUT -- it is always harder to enter a split transaction when starting
from the "wrong" place. By wrong, in this case, I mean in the case of a
one sided split, starting in an account other than the non-split side.

When you are processing an invoice payment (when entering that) CAN you
split? << others using the business features need to jump in here and
say one way or the other -- for example, if you received one check from
a customer that was intended to cover two invoices, could you enter
that, and did that involve "split"? >>

If the answer is yes, then what I suggest is that you learn how to enter
a split transaction when you are starting from the "wrong place". Those
of us who are keeping books for non-profits that sell "stuff"
(fundraising) probably know how to do that since in entering the
transaction involves "cash", "sales", "cost of goods sold", and "goods
inventory" << split on BOTH sides  so there can be no "right" place to
start >>

Michael D Novack