[GNC] withholding tax (Liz Dodd)

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Oct 2 12:09:37 EDT 2020

The normal process payment function only splits for the invoices/bills
selected. So if you are paying one invoice, you get one payment split
and one AR/AP split.

If you are paying multiple invoices, you'll still only have one payment
split, but one AR/AP split for each invoice/bill.

If additional splits were part of the real-world transaction, you have
to add them manually, ideally from the payment (source) account
register. (not AR/AP)

For example, I keep a jar of loose change and don't count that as part
of my 'cash in wallet'.

When I pay a bill in cash, I use the usual Process Payment for the exact
amount.

Then I edit the transaction to change the cash split to be the actual
whole dollar amount I tendered, then add a debit split to my coin jar
for the loose change. I've had some issue in the past with tracking down
some cash discrepancies, so I record the actual tender amount, and I add
a cash debit split for any cash change received. Now I can trace the
actual currency flow if needed. This has helped me resolve a few errors
or lapses in memory if I don't get to enter transactions right away.

-----
And I agree on the 'starting point' and always enter any transaction
from the source account register. Life is much simpler that way.

Regards,
Adrien