[GNC] withholding tax (Liz Dodd)

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 11:26:33 EDT 2020

While experimenting this problem, I found it exposes a subtle
behaviour/bug... I was hoping to do the following manual assignment: create
a transaction with 3 splits -
 - asset:bank +80
 - a/receivable -100
 - asset:WHT +20
 then right-click the transaction, assign $80 as payment for the invoice.
But this will assign the 100 to the invoice then 20 as overpayment to the
same customer. This is not what we want.

Therefore your *only *currently available steps is (IMHO):  process payment
as usual, for $80 only. This creates a regular transaction:
 - asset:bank +100
 - a/receivable -100 (to clear the invoice)

Then you will do *two* further modifications:
1. modify to include split to asset:WHT
 - asset:bank +80
 - a/receivable -100 (linked to invoice)
 - asset:WHT +20
2. import OFX/QIF from the bank, and match the OFX transaction to your
asset:bank split. Thus:
 - asset:bank +80 (linked to OFX online_id)
 - a/receivable -100 (linked to invoice)
 - asset:WHT +20