[GNC] Will the file myStuff.gnucash work on Linux & Windows machines?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Mon Oct 12 04:08:13 EDT 2020

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 12:59:37AM +0000, Fran_3 via gnucash-user wrote:
>  David, you may have just solved one of our problems.
>
> Google Drive doesn't offer a sync feature for Linux, as far as I can find.
> 1 - I'm assuming you sync between your Dropbox account and yourlocal Linux or Windows PC... right?
> 2 - Does FreeFileSync auto sync to each computer or do you have to manually run it?
> 3 - Does it only work with Dropbox?
> Thanks !!!

There's an open source synchronising system called 'Syncthing' which
works across Linux, Mac and Windows systems.  I have been using it for
a few years now to synchronise various things including GnuCash
between my laptop and desktop machines.

Once set up it works in the background with no input needed from the
user.  It doesn't need any 'cloud' resource at all, the files are
simply synchronised between your machines (across your home LAN or the
'public' internet, as required).

It's not instant, when you change a file on machine A it takes a few
seconds to be updated on machine B but for a single user it's excellent.

--
Chris Green