[GNC] Will the file myStuff.gnucash work on Linux & Windows machines?

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Mon Oct 12 01:37:06 EDT 2020

On 2020-10-11 17:23, David H wrote:
> I should perhaps add I'm assuming you save the file in the default xml
> format :-)  I'm also using Dropbox and FreeFileSync to sync the file on
> whatever pc I happen to be in front off at the time....
>
> On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 at 10:10, David H <hellvee at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have been using the same Gnucash file on Win 7, Win 10, Ubuntu Linux &
>> MacOS Big Sur without issue so yes.
>>
>> On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 at 10:04 am, Fran_3 via gnucash-user <
>> gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Given a GnuCash file myStuff.gnucash...
>>> Can that file be shared and worked on on both a Windows 10 machine and a
>>> Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon machine?

I didn't see anyone mention two important conditions:

(1) The two host computers must be running the same major version of GC,
ideally the same version. If one is running e.g. version 3.x and the
other is running 2.x or 4.x, the one with the later version will change
the format of the file and the one with the earlier version will no
longer be able to read it correctly.

(2) There should not be separate edits on the two machines without first
re-synching after the first set of edits.

--
Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA