[GNC] Will the file myStuff.gnucash work on Linux & Windows machines?

Colin colinfarndt at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 06:27:34 EDT 2020

I'll just add 2 points here:

1. I sync my GnuCash (SQL) file across Linux and macOS. In the past 3
months have not run into any issues whatsoever. I see people mention this
use case regularly on the list, so it sounds like GnuCash is quite robust
across multi-platform usage.

2. For anyone running Gnome as your desktop environment on Linux, recent
versions of the file manager support Google Drive syncing out of the box.
But... let me put in another recommendation for Syncthing. It is completely
open-source, and I've been using it as a Google Drive / Dropbox replacement
for about a year.

Yes it requires more time to set up and configure than a commercial product
with a centralized server, just like most open-source software. But the
rewards of that investment are significant. You retain full control of your
data and have much more fine-grained control of the sync system than
commercial offerings provide. Not to mention it is free, and the longer you
use it, the more the savings you've gained will add up.

Since it is a peer-to-peer program with no centralized server, I chose to
set up a Raspberry Pi as a peer device. This way, there's always at least
one device online to receive / push changes to others. My favorite feature
is the optional File Versioning, which I set up on the RasPi. This way,
whenever a file is changed on any device, the RasPi keeps a time-stamped
copy of the previous version. I've used it to restore files I deleted or
changed several times. The peace of mind this provides is priceless!

Best,
Colin