[GNC] Will the file myStuff.gnucash work on Linux & Windows machines?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Mon Oct 12 06:16:07 EDT 2020

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 08:01:53PM +1000, David H wrote:
> Ah there's also the other use case - I didn't think it would handle the use
> case where I have only one laptop on and I update Gnucash data on it and
> then shutdown that laptop and then fire up another pc elsewhere in the
> house.  It seemed to me that this meant the other pc wouldn't be updated -
> sounded like I'd need a NAS as intermediate storage so that the files were
> always sync'd ok ??

Yes, for that sort of requirement you need an 'always on' machine
somewhere.  In my case it's my desktop machine at home as that is
permanently on (it runs as my mail server and various other things so
has to be on all the time).

I just tell all the machines that I want to keep in step to
synchronise with the home desktop machine and that works fine.

You can tell syncthing to synchronise several machines all with each
other and it copes OK but that level of complication seems unnecessary
to me, I have my synchronisation as a 'star' network.

--
Chris Green