[GNC] Will the file myStuff.gnucash work on Linux & Windows machines?

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 14:52:58 EDT 2020

I would like to see some of the specific details that have been referenced
recently in this thread recorded in the FAQ for easy reference.  A few of
the particular items include:

1. Interoperability between major releases: The FAQ is not specific about
whether the 2.6.21 release is able to read all XML files that have been
touched by releases between 3.0 and 3.11.  Looking further back, where are
the comparable demarcations between various important 2.x releases. When
were the key versions released?

2.  Are there similar version issues for the database file formats?

3. Document how to segregate old backups by which version would be needed
to open them along with recommendations on local long term storage of old
GnuCash releases that may be needed as long as backups are expected to be
readable.  Is there some way to detect which version would be required to
read a given backup?

4.  Regarding the various data synchronization issues that arise between
multiple instances of GnuCash, I would like to see a summary of the generic
types of data synchronization, including a short list of advantages and
disadvantages of each.  Since that is an issue left for the user to
implement only minimal guidance would be needed.

I am hoping that someone with more time than I have available would like to
take up this project.  If you are the one, thanks in advance.

David Carlson

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 11:28 AM Kalpesh Patel <kalpesh.patel at usa.net>
wrote:

> I haven't had any problem using it on Linux (through WSL) and Windows
> version of GNUCash . I actually have lower version of GNUCash on my Ubuntu
> (v3.11) then Windows (v4.2) which allows me to work between two without any
> issues. Of course I use XML as the target format for saving the file data.
>

> As for sharing between multiple computers, I also use Google Drive but I am
> very paranoid storing personal stuff in cloud so I encrypt my data using a
> bi-directional utility called CryptSync
> (https://github.com/stefankueng/CryptSync) before it moves my file(s) up
> in
> to "Cloud" drive. It works with any type of "Cloud" storage provider.

David Carlson