[GNC] [GNC-dev] Gnucash server going offline shortly..

Matthew McGillis matthew at jenika.com
Sat Oct 31 13:49:49 EDT 2020

My rant, not related to gnucash at all, but utility companies and smart devices.

Just me venting some long frustration along these lines.

We put in the effort to add UPS and in my case a stand by generator that runs off natural gas. This combination has never failed to keep my systems powered even for long outages (worst case was 5 days). But guess what... most telcos (comcast, centurylink, cell phone towers …) don’t have the same ability. So if the power outage also includes that local distribution point generally you have about 6-12 hours before those distribution points go dark. So although I keep running perfectly locally it is no good for internet access.

Second annoyance is all the smart devices/services (doors, garage doors, door bells/video,….) that can’t operate with out internet at all. They should have some sort of basic local mode capability over a local network.

It would be one thing if you can’t set these things up with out internet or don’t have access to all the bells and whistles but you shouldn’t lose the ability to the primary function because the internet goes down when trying to use them locally.

Ok I’m done just wanted to share.

Matthew