[GNC] How to add investment accounts to existing gnucash file

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 22:33:35 EDT 2020

Along your line of thinking, it is also recommended that you try major
changes with a disposable copy of your data file, keeping a backup if you
don't like the results.  Sometimes that may mean running two copies in
parallel for a period of time.
Good luck!

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 9:27 PM Default User <hunguponcontent at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 4, 2020, 22:03 David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Funny you should ask.  Chapter 9 of the user guide was written just for
> you
> > https://code.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-guide/invest_accounts1.html
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 8:37 PM Default User <hunguponcontent at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I am using gnucash 3.10, up to date.
> >>
> >> I have a file with existing accounts in it, but no investment accounts.
> >>
> >> Is there a simple way to add investment accounts without starting a new
> >> file, or overwriting the existing one, and thus losing my existing
> >> accounts
> >> (and their data)?
> >> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> >> -----
> >>

> > --
> > David Carlson
> >

> Hi, David.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I have of course read about using the New Account Heirarchy Setup to add
> the investment accounts.
>
> But I thought it would be a great idea to ask first if my existing data
> would be lost.
>
> As any carpenter will tell you - "Measure twice, cut once!"

David Carlson