[GNC] Import transactions with expenses in a different currency

andrepd andrepd at protonmail.com
Tue Sep 8 10:41:28 EDT 2020

In the latest version of gnucash (4.1-2 from flathub) I noticed that, when
importing transactions in .ofx/.csv into a GBP-denominated bank account, and
matching them to expense accounts in EUR, I get the following error message:

  The account 'Electronics' has a different commodity from the one required,
  Pound Sterling. Please choose a different account.

Now, I haven't seen that error message before, when importing my
transactions,
so I'm assuming this behaviour changed recently. However, I also realised
that, for all the transactions like this that I imported in the past (when
that message didn't appear), that the exchange rate used was always
1GBP => 1EUR! This is also not good for me.

So I have two questions:

* How do I import transactions where the debits and credits are in different
currencies (in this example, I have a debit from a GBP bank account and a
credit to an EUR expense account)? This should ideally use the correct
exchange rate from the price database.

* How do I fix the exchange rates for the previous transactions, without
going
manually through _thousands_ of transactions and going `right-click >
edit exchange rate > paste > OK`? I have the correct historical exchange
rates,
for the period where the transactions took place, entered in the price
database, so I'd like to use the "most-recent-at-transaction-date" exchange
rate. I don't see how I can do this for all transactions, and doing so
manually
for 2 years worth of transactions would take upwards of 8 or 9 hours I
reckon.
Perhaps a python script could do it (or even edit the xml directly, I don't
know)?

Thanks for the help.