[GNC] Is there an 'easy' way to have a transaction with 'sub-transactions' as it were?

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Wed Sep 9 10:17:48 EDT 2020

On 9/8/2020 5:25 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> Yes, View > Transaction Journal
>
> Now all transactions in that register will always show all splits. It
> is not only helpful when learning GnuCash, but I use it exclusively
> because I don't want to have to click each transaction to see the
> splits. Less clicking, more visual inspection. The layout is also, to
> me, less cluttered looking, even though more info is on the screen.
>
> The 'Auto Split' view only shows them when it is selected, but saves
> you having to click to see the splits explicitly like in Basic view.
>
> Also consider View > Double Line which will add make the Notes field
> visible.
>
> I like to use Notes for comments about the entire transaction and
> Memos where info is specific just to that split line.

Just to explain to those who never learned old fashioned pen and ink on
paper bookkeeping. THIS is what the transaction would look like in the
"journal". A date ordered record of transactions. They would then be
"posted" to the ledger, where only the part affecting that account visible.

Gnucash allows you to enter transactions directly into the ledger from
any of the accounts affected by that transaction (always at least two,
this is double-entry bookkeeping). The journal is virtual. But as Adrien
indicated, gnucash will show you the transaction in that view of you ask
it to.

Michael D Novack