[GNC] Be careful with `petty cash'

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Thu Sep 10 08:40:24 EDT 2020

>> I think the best approach is either:-
>>
>>     1 - Record the amounts in their different categories as required,
>>     e.g. 'collection' or 'offertory box' and simply record the same
>>     paying-in slip number against both transactions.
>>
>>     2 - Have, as you suggest, an intermediate "Undeposited Funds asset
>>     account" where cash is recorded as it's collected and then another
>>     transaction records when it's paid into the bank.
>>
>> Given the very small PCC I'm managing I think 1 above will be fine.  I
>> record the date of the collection in the Description and the
>> transaction date is the date that the cash gets credited to the bank
>> account.

Either will work, but in terms of gnucash effort you might find #1
easier. Especially so if bank deposits are far enough apart that might
contain several "collection" and "offertory box" box entries. Especially
if those might be done separately as simple, unsplit transactions.
Otherwise you deposti transaction will be a large "split" transaction.

Michael D Novack