[GNC] Short cuts for things

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 09:15:25 EDT 2020

Leaving a transaction edit 'pending' by moving to another transaction
without 'committing' it by pressing the Enter key allows the user to work
on every part of the transaction before 'saving' the final transaction to
the data file.  Further, the data file in the xml form, like any other text
file, is not 'committed' to a hard drive or other persistent medium until
the user does a File > Save operation.

What older users like me find un-intuitive is the Android-esque phenomenon
is that it is impossible there to abandon an edit that is not ending up
with the desired result.

David Carlson

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 7:42 AM Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 07:24:27AM -0500, David Carlson wrote:
> [snip]
> > >
> > > In fact it's not very clear (to me, as a very new user) exactly when
> > > tranasactions get entered and/or when they are permanently stored.
> > > Even after hitting the + button there seems to be another stage as, on
> > > exit, it warns that you'll lose everything unless you 'save'.
> > >
> > Isn't that what the Enter key does?
> >
> Is it?  It's not quite what I'd expect but it does seem to. :-)
>
> I still think moving to another account (i.e. away from the currently
> diplayed transaction/account) should, by default, save a new transaction.
>
> --
> Chris Green

David Carlson