[GNC] Be careful with `petty cash'

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 17:56:14 EDT 2020

> On 10 Sep 2020, at 22:29, Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure what you are referencing by 'paying-in slip'.
>
> I always try to model the real world events with my transactions, so receipts of cash would be recorded for the date they actually happened:
>
> Dr. Undeposited Funds
> Cr. Income:whatever (collection, offertory box, etc.)
>
> Then when the deposit is made as likely an aggregate of several revenue sources and even days, I'd record:
>
> Dr. Bank
> Cr. Undeposited Funds
>
> If by 'paying-in slip' you mean 'deposit slip' or transaction # from the bank, you'd use that on the actual deposit transaction.
>
> If you issue some sort of receipt or the money is collected with some sort of document number, use that number for recording the actual collection transaction.
>
> It is also possible, we may be talking past each other about the same thing.
>

> Regards,
> Adrien

Hi, Adrien.

This appears to be a response to my last comment but I think it was intended for Chris Green, as you and I appear to be in agreement in wanting to mirror what actually happened.

UK banks supply “Bank Giro Credit” books, sometimes free-standing, sometimes forming a section at the back of a cheque book. There is a tear-off slip for the details of the deposit and a counterfoil - both identically serial-numbered - and the bank tears of the clip then stamps and returns the counterfoil as a receipt.

For paying-in slip read Bank Giro Credit slip - or deposit slip as you describe it.

Michael