[GNC] I'm still a bit confused about when things get saved.

will at theprescotts.com will at theprescotts.com
Thu Sep 10 19:01:20 EDT 2020

The modern MacOS is pretty amazing at preserving work in most apps now even if you have not saved to disk. I have shut down my computer with unsaved changes and they are still there when it reboots. And where I live power failures are common and I am not on a UPS (long story there). So even when the computer is killed by a power failure, when it comes back up I can see almost all the recent unsaved changes. I might lose a word or two if I am typing when the power goes off, but that is about it. It is pretty amazing to someone like me who remembers when pulling the plug on a computer meant you not only lost everything unsaved but you had to wait 15 or 20 minutes for the disk to recover after a power failure.

Will