[GNC] Negative attitudes [was: Re: Negative numbers]

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sun Sep 13 10:24:44 EDT 2020

On 9/13/2020 1:37 AM, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user wrote:

> Great exposition!
>
> I use Fedora in my business.  It is a wonderful example of
> "Kaisen", meaning constant improvement.  I am totally spoiled
> by their responsiveness to users, including me.  I presume
> "someone" is paying them, but I do not know where they are
> getting their funding.  I certainly an not put one more
> person on my payroll.

The entities like Fedora, Red Hat, etc. get funded by by their (larger)
business users. Businesses that while not small, not large enough to
justify the cost of their own "tech support" department. You see here
plenty of mention of not being able to use the latest gnucash version
because dependencies not right in the stable linux distro. Well a
business that had to have than application would need help "fixing"
those dependencies.

For example, when I first played around some with Linux << after I took
a very generous post Y2K package and retired early -- within months back
there "consulting" >>  I BOUGHT a distro because for a very reasonable
price had a far superior installer, well tested distro, plus install
support included with the price. You likely won't have heard of this
distro as no more. The person doing it became ill and died a few years
later.

Keep in mind, especially back then, usually a fair amount of fiddling
around to get all the computer's stuff working. Particularly annoying on
the linux forums to look at advice for installing the totally free stuff
on this or that machine commonly ending up with "got everything working
except the phone modem but nobody uses dial-up anymore" << which was
obviously a sine qua non for me -- broadband cables didn't reach here
until two years ago! >>

Michael D Novack