[GNC] Negative attitudes [was: Re: Negative numbers]

ToddAndMargo ToddAndMargo at zoho.com
Mon Sep 14 06:57:10 EDT 2020

On 2020-09-13 03:31, Liz wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Sep 2020 22:37:02 -0700
> ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>
>> Folks do not understand that Open Source is not free.
>
> We have a way of describing this to deal with the various meanings of
> "free" in English.
>
> You are describing "free as in beer". Others are describing some of the
> further meanings of "free" that FSF refers to
>
> Freedom to use for any purpose; freedom to examine the code; freedom to
> share; freedom to improve (and share those improvements).
>

> You can read more about the matters here
> https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html
>
> Liz

Hi Liz,

That is only half the story.  A nice half though!

Here is the rest of the story:

Open-source economics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_economics

    Open-source for-profit businesses:

    Numerous companies have created businesses around
    open-source software. They do this by publishing
    all of their code open-source, then charging for
    training, certifications, add-ons, and other
    services. One example is Red Hat, which produces
    operating systems. Red Hat sells services such as
    24/7 support, integration into company's products,
    and training. Red Hat was the pioneer for the open
    source business model, and was valued at approximately
    $16 billion as of April 2017. Other examples
    include Google, which created Android, an open-source
    mobile operating system based on Linux.

-T