[GNC] Tabs Behaviors in GNC4.1

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 15 15:39:13 EDT 2020

Hello,

I'm running GNC4.1 on Windows 10, and I've noticed a couple of changes
in the tab interface in recent versions that are irksome to me. I have
my preferences set so that account tabs are placed on the left side of
the window.

The first issue I've noticed is that new tabs now open directly under
the Chart of Accounts tab on the screen. In the past, they opened at the
very end of the list.

Thus, the tab list after opening a new account currently looks like this:

{Chart of Accounts}
{Newly-Opened Account}
{Old Account A}
{Old Account B}
{Old Report A}

In earlier versions, new tabs always opened at the bottom of the list, thus:

{Chart of Accounts}
{Old Account A}
{Old Account B}
{Old Report A}
{Newly-Opened Account}

I much prefer this latter approach, since I usually have a default set
of accounts always opened, and the tabs below are for more situational
information. Is there a setting that I can change to get the earlier
behavior back?

The second issue I have is that tabs shrink and expand to show the full
account name up to a certain point. In older versions, I believe that
the tab width was fixed, and account names that didn't fit were ellipsed
when they got too long. The current solution is weird; the tabs
automatically adjust wider or narrower based on the name of the opened
tabs--up to a point, after which ellipses are still used. While I
understand the utility of displaying the full account name on screen, I
nevertheless find the changing of the window geometry distracting, and
would much prefer to have the tabs set to a single width that doesn't
fluctuate. (Personally, I would expect that this area would require the
user to manually reset widths, similar to adjusting the columns in a
spreadsheet--but I understand that this is my own expectation) Is there
a setting I can change to keep the tabs at a certain width?

TIA,

David T.