[GNC] How to upgrade from 3.8 to 4.1 on Win10?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Sep 21 01:08:45 EDT 2020

On 9/17/20 4:36 PM, Fran_3 via gnucash-user wrote:
> Just now getting around to upgrading 3.4 to 4.1 on Win10.
> 1 - I've downloaded 4.1. Do I just run it or first uninstall 3.8?

This has been answered, but for completeness, Windows will offer to
uninstall 3.8 before installing 4.1.

> 2 - Also I see in the archives someone tried to upgrade from ver 2.x to ver 4...
> and the following comment (amoung others)...
> " Skipping versions (such as2.5 ---> 4.0 is not supported"
> Does this apply to going from 3.8 to 4.1?

Per the Wiki, upgrading by skipping major versions is not supported.

The numbering scheme changed with 3.x.

2.4.x and 2.6.x are both major versions.

The next two major versions are 3.x and 4.x, so this is the list:

2.4.x
2.6.x
3.x
4.x

You can't skip one.

Moving from 2.4 -> 3.x is not supported in one jump. You'd have to go
through 2.6.x first. (and also 3.x if your final destination is 4.x)

Moving from 2.6.x -> 4.x is not supported in one jump, you have to go
through a 3.x release first.

Thus, 3.8 -> 4.1 is fine.

After EACH upgrade between major versions, you should perform: Actions >
Check & Repair > Check & Repair All.

> 3 - any other steps that should be performed to have things go smoothly?

Always make sure you have proper backups in place, both of your data
file and your preferences and saved report configurations. See the wiki
for these locations on your operating system.

> I'm sure this is somewhere online or in the archives or Wiki but, after digging around for awhile, I just haven't stumbled across it so thanks in advance for any help.

See the FAQ there.

There is also a search bar at the top right of every page. "Upgrade"
would find something useful.

Regards,
Adrien