[GNC] Loan to family member: How do i setup the account structure

Geoff cleanoutmyshed at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 08:15:56 EDT 2020

Hi John

I am not an accountant, and others may chime in with better solutions,
but this is my suggestion.

Since there is no interest involved, you just need to set up an
additional loan account for the family member under Assets, and enter
the transactions you have described below.

A picture is worth much typing, so please see attached a screenshot of
the Chart of Accounts with accompanying register transactions in each of
the four accounts.  This shows the situation after three monthly
repayments, but before you have transferred the third repayment from
Cheque to Savings 2. I have also attached the Transaction Report which,
I think, adequately meets your outcome requirements.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Geoff
=====