[GNC] Loan to family member: How do i setup the account structure

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Wed Sep 23 14:02:31 EDT 2020

I presume that you currently "expense" the loans.  They really are not
an "expense" but a change of asset (from your savings account to a
receivable.

1.  Add a new Asset account called "FaF Loans"  (Friends and Family
Loans).  Mark it as a placeholder.
2.  Under FaF add a new account for each person to home a loan is made.

For your use case enter the following transactions:
A.  Transfer £2000 from Savings1 to Checking.
B.  Transfer £2000 from Checking to FaF:Family1

Note:  If both happen at the same time, you could combine them into a
multi-split transaction with Checking having two offsetting splits.

C.  £100 from Faf:Family1 to Checking
D.  £100 from Checking to Savings2

Note:  Doubtful that the above two transactions happen at the same time
so shouldn't combine.

By looking at the transactions for each of the sub-accounts in FaF you
would see the original loan amount plus all the payments.  The account
balance would be the outstanding balance.

Now, if you should charge interest, the interest portion would be
income.  I presume that you already earn interest on other accounts so
would already have that account setup in the Income area of CoA.

The payment would then be split with FaF:FamilyX and Interest-Income on
one side and Checking as the destination.

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com
kg7je at arrl.net