[GNC] Shortcuts and Sorts

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Sep 23 23:00:54 EDT 2020

David C. answered your question about sorting.

And the others chimed in with personal comments on the auto-fill.

You can't turn it off, but you can stifle it as noted with an extra
character or so, tab over, then shift-tab to correct the extraneous
characters.

I too find the autofill a massive time saver. I record every single
receipt, line by line. Certainly, it is rare for many of my receipts to
be the exact same. The advantage is in filling in the splits for each
line item.

If you end up with splits you don't need, you can right-click them and
choose 'Delete Split'. There is also the option to 'Delete other splits'
so you can keep just the one you want.

I think there is a bug report and maybe even work being done on
multi-selecting splits for deletion, but I don't know when that will
make its way to us. It would be another huge time saver.

Another advantage to autofill is that I put lots of detail in my split
memos. Some of that stuff like grocery items is recurring from time to
time, even though not every trip, and I have quite a nested tree of
accounts for tracking that stuff. When I start typing for example,
"Beef"... the previously assigned account automatically is populated for
me. If I start typing "Beer"..., I get the same.

For nearly exactly recurring stuff (like a cable bill) the amounts may
need to be changed, but the account assignments are done for you. That
is not only a big time saver, but it also removes occasion for error in
selecting the wrong one by mistake.

It took some getting used to at first, but I am much faster with it than
without.

Regards,
Adrien