[GNC] Trading accounts functionality

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Sat Apr 3 03:21:08 EDT 2021

On 3 Apr 2021, at 1:31, zuperkoleoptera at gmail.com wrote:

> Another issue that I just realized and is related to the functionality
> of trading accounts, but maybe not the one that we are discussing
> here,
> is the security/currency of the top level placeholder account Trading.
> Shouldn't that be set in my base currency EUR? Strangely enough in my
> case it's set in VOW which is a security I trade.

I'm not sure where that came from, but I don't think it matters.  I
can't think of anything that GnuCash would use that commodity for.

Another thing that we've sort of passed over without comment is that
trading accounts don't have much to do with *realized* gains.  You still
need to record them as you presumably have been by using splits to a
"realized gain" income account with zero shares and non-zero value.
Trading accounts are more about making the books balance with
*unrealized* gains.

Mike