[GNC] Trading accounts functionality

zuperkoleoptera at gmail.com zuperkoleoptera at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 03:29:31 EDT 2021

On Sat, 2021-04-03 at 03:21 -0400, Mike Alexander wrote:
> On 3 Apr 2021, at 1:31, zuperkoleoptera at gmail.com wrote:
> > Another issue that I just realized and is related to the
> > functionality
> > of trading accounts, but maybe not the one that we are discussing
> > here,
> > is the security/currency of the top level placeholder account
> > Trading.
> > Shouldn't that be set in my base currency EUR? Strangely enough in
> > my
> > case it's set in VOW which is a security I trade.
> I'm not sure where that came from, but I don't think it matters. I
> can't think of anything that GnuCash would use that commodity for.
> Another thing that we've sort of passed over without comment is that
> trading accounts don't have much to do with realized gains. You still
> need to record them as you presumably have been by using splits to a
> "realized gain" income account with zero shares and non-zero value.
> Trading accounts are more about making the books balance with
> unrealized gains.
> Mike
Yes you are right and that was what I was looking for when I first
looked into the functionality.

The problem is that it produces a lot of new transaction splits that
don't make sense to me or to my usecase scenario.
I think for now my testing is over and I will move on deleting the
trading accounts and all related splits, as I have read in some
I have turned the feature on in another book, an individual upstart
bussiness that I am now starting and see how this works out in a
different setting.

Anyhow for my use case I have discovered 3 following issues, which
could be bugs

- Trading placeholder account is set in the wrong security / currency
- Splits are automatically created in past cross-currency/commodity
transactions
- Trading accounts do not obey commodity value smallest fraction

Do you think I should file bug reports?