[GNC] Account Payable: process payment to multiple vendors

Bregt - ICTgroup.be bregt at ictgroup.be
Sat Apr 10 10:03:35 EDT 2021

Hello everyone.

I am wondering what to do with the following. (For the record: I live in
Belgium and use GnuCash for my company bookkeeping).

I received a bill in January from my notary, registered it in Gnucash (2
expenses with VAT + 2 expenses without VAT versus Account Payable) and
registered the payment (Account Payable versus Bank).

Now, part of this bill was a provisionary cost that did not include VAT.
Recently I received a second bill from the government for this
provisionary cost, this time with VAT. What (apparantly) happened is
that the notary transferred my payment for this cost to the federal
government, and now the government sends me the bill so I can recover
the VAT on this expense.
So: total cost is (say for example) €121. This was booked on an expense
account. What I would do if I were keeping oldfashion books on paper is
booking the second bill as expense €100 + VAT €21 versus Account Payable
€121, and then Account Payable €121 versus (previously booked) expense
€121.
However, when I want to process payment of the second bill in GnuCash,
it does not allow me to select an Expense account.

Therefore, I have done the following:
* I removed the expense from the original bill, removed the payment of
the original bill, reregistered payment of the original bill (now with a
lower amount ofcourse, and pointing to the relevant entry in my bank
account statement).
* I registered the second bill and registered its payment, refering to
the entry in my bank account statement.

Now I am wondering if there is a way in GnuCash to process a payment of
two bills from two separate vendors in one transaction, because on my
bank account statement one can only see the payment to the first vendor
(the notary).

Any thoughts on this?

Kind regards,
Bregt