[GNC] Changing Currency in Price Data

Ingo Planz planz at pantherrey.de
Mon Apr 12 13:19:51 EDT 2021

I guess that would be the proper way to do it. I am not an accountant
either and am using GNC for my personal finances so everything's a bit
sloppy here ...

Actually the stock hasn't changed at all. Neither has my bank or the
place I would trade that stock -- both of which is in EUR/some European
Stock Exchange via my bank. I am using the price database to track the
value of my assets over time. This is somewhat approximate and not very
precise anyway, since a) I add new prices only about once a week. And
b) it's never been neccessarily prices from the exchange where I would
have bought or sold the stock.

What I did do was change the data source of the price data. It used to
be from  a source that had prices at Frankfurt Stock Exchange in EUR.
Now I want to use a source that has price data from Tokyo SE (in JPY
obviously). Mainly because it's easier for me to automatically get and
insert into the price database. I am not intending to trade at Tokyo SE
(I don't think I even could), it's just a convenient data source for me
to use and I don't mind the inaccuracy.

I figured, that -- for simplicity -- I could just keep using the very
same security and just have price data in different currencies. After
all the price editor allows for setting a currency in every price entry.

Best regards,

Ingo