[GNC] Changing Currency in Price Data

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Apr 11 12:09:12 EDT 2021

> On Apr 10, 2021, at 6:25 AM, Ingo Planz <planz at pantherrey.de> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> in my price data, the currency for one of the stocks has changed. It used to be in EUR, which is also the default currency and reporting currency. Since recently that stock price is stored in JPY.
> I also do have the corresponding exchange rate in the price database as well.
>
> However, both the values computed for both the Accounts tab as well as reports (method: nearest in time) ignore the newer JPY prices and use the final EUR price.
>
> If I do delete all the EUR prices, it works as expected and computes values by converting the JPY prices with the exchange rate.
>
> Am I missing something or am I doing it wrong? Can I change the currency in the stock price data like this?

GnuCash understands the currency in which the stock is priced to be the currency of the stock account's immediate parent, so you would create a parent account of type ASSET denominated in JPY and make that new account the stock account's parent.

But why exactly did the stock's quote currency change? That's not a common occurrence.

Regards,
John Ralls