[GNC] read-only file

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sat Apr 17 20:59:15 EDT 2021

On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 09:27:30 -0700
Robin Lake <robin.lake at frontier.com> wrote:

> Greetings --
>
> I have recently installed gnuCash and built a file (book) at the time
> of installation. When I opened the file, it was read-only. Over the
> couple days I've been trying to solve my dilemma, I have developed
> two (to me) large questions.
>
> 1) Can I take the file out of read-only status? If so, how?
>
> 2) Can I simply delete the file, from within gnuCash, and start over?
> If so, how?
>
> Since there is not yet any data deleting would not be a problem.
>
> I have searched both the guide and help .pdf's, and queried the
> internet at large, and have not found an answer to either question.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Robin

Robin, thanks for bringing us this question.
I'm sure this has been asked multiple times in the past.
The answers are OS dependent. From your mail headers, I think you are
using Windows 10.

To take the read only marker from the file would be done from an
administrator login.

You cannot delete the file from within GnuCash.
You could delete it with administrator privileges.

You can start again. That is no problem.
Take great care where you store your file, it should be in your home
directory / folder. We recommend making a special directory for your
GnuCash files and keeping them off your desktop. Plan your backup
strategy for this directory as well.

If David Carlson is correct, and this has started with you getting a
warning that the file is already open, then follow his instructions.
Next time be sure you close GnuCash before you close the computer!

Liz