[GNC] Inserting the Beginning Balances of Accounts in Gnucash

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Apr 22 13:07:25 EDT 2021

Hi,

On Thu, April 22, 2021 12:55 pm, Jose A. Lorido III wrote:
> Thanks David for your advice..........
>
> I was able to place the Opening Balances on my ASSET and LIABILITY
> accounts, but I cannot seem to be able to add the Opening Balances to my
> EQUITY accounts (Additional-Paid-In-Capital, Opening Balances, and
> Retained
> Earnings accounts).
>
> Can you help on how to place the Beginning Balances on these EQUITY
> accounts?

It rarely makes sense to do that.  You'd just be transferring from one
equity account to another, which wouldn't actually change your equity.

If you NEED to do it, you can manually create it...  Or you can adjust
your Asset and Liability O-B txns to split into the required equity
buckets.  But really, if you're just starting your accounting, you
wouldn't have any retained earnings.

> Thanks,

-derek

> Kind Regards
> *Jose A. Lorido III*
> Managing Director
>
> *Infrastructure Engineering & Procurement Company LLC (IEPCO)*
> *Continental International Supply Company (CISCO)*
> *FHC Atares Group LLC*
> 100 Edgewater Drive, #345
> Coral Gables, FL 33133
> Tel: (305) 215-5076
> E-Mails: IEPCO at aol.com, ciscosupply at aol.com, FHCAtares at gmail.com
>  [image: GIFlogoColorSmall.gif]
>

> On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 12:26 PM D. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> From the Tutorial & Concepts Guide,  section 5.1:
>>
>> You can enter this [the opening balance] in the account information
>> window
>> automatically as part of the New Account Hierarchy Setup assistant, or
>> you
>> can enter a manual transaction directly in the account. To enter the
>> transaction manually, enter a transfer from an Opening Balances account
>> (type equity) to the bank account.
>>
>> HTH,
>> David T.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745