[GNC] [MAINT] Unplanned network outage

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Apr 29 10:37:26 EDT 2021

Hi,

On Thu, April 29, 2021 8:27 am, Chris Green wrote:

> More of a half-way house as it were would be a virtual server, where
> you (Derek) have complete control of the system but nasty basic things
> like power supplies and continuous operation of the hardware is
> someone else's problem.  Like a colo facility but much cheaper.  My
> little virtual server costs only a little over £5/month.  That's
> probably still rather more than a computer sitting at home (though it
> might well be a close run thing if you take into account power costs).

There is still the security concern (where are the bits stored?  Who has
access to the underlying spinning media/SSD)?  Is it encrypted?  Who has
access to the encryption keys?  (NB: For the system to boot itself
unattended for emergency response then it needs to have access to any
encryption keys.)

As for the electricity, I would say that the two "machines" I run for
GnuCash (code and the win32 builder) cost me $1-2/mo in electricity.
MAYBE $3 during summer.  And that's for TWO systems.  I can spin up new
ones cheaply (if necessary).

(Note: I put "machines" in quotes because I run a VM infrastructure here,
so I'm amortizing the estimated cost to run the VM hardware over all the
VMs that run on it -- on the other hand, you're right that these costs do
not amortize the original cost of the hardware itself, which works out to
about $3/VM over the past 5 years, but that cost will go down over time or
as more VMs get run on it -- or up if I add more hardware).

I've just had bad luck with landscapers nicking my fiber cable.

Thanks,

> --
> Chris Green

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745