[GNC] Cut & Paste transaction problem

Robert Stocker kneadtoknow at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 08:25:40 EDT 2021

I'm running GnuCash version 4.5 (build ID: Flathub 4.5) on Ubuntu 20.10.

I experienced this problem: After entering a transaction in the wrong
register, I used the Transaction > Cut transaction command, went to the
correct register, and used Transaction > Paste transaction. There was an
immediately visible problem. While some fields came across intact, several
of them were clearly out of order or seemingly random data. As it happens,
the first time I noticed this was on a split transaction with 4 or 5
splits, and the data was well and truly mangled beyond recognition. Since,
I have verified this with both split and single-line (non-split)
transactions in credit card registers, but have not tried every type of
account register.

For the time being, I recommend using Transaction > Copy transaction
followed by Transaction > Paste transaction (a combination which seems to
work correctly) and then delete the unwanted original. Because Copy then
Paste seems to work, my suspicion is that the bug is in the "Cut" portion
of the code.

I have not experienced this problem before, and have cut & pasted
transactions in this manner plenty of times.