[GNC] CVS import success/issues

Lisa Rowell lisa.gives.in at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 19:38:24 EDT 2021

Thanks for the congratulations, it was probably the longest run once
program I've ever written and there was a LOT of time spent cleaning
things up.

Thanks for the confirmation that Capital Gains method works, that was
the section I was referring to. I played with it more and realized what
was going on. I had left the Trial Balance report up all during my
experimentation, and only played with the General tab, not noticing the
Accounts tab. When you first bring up a report it defaults to all
accounts, but if leave it up and add a new account, for example a
Capital Gains:XXXXX account, you have to go to the accounts tab and
explicitly add it to the set, otherwise it's not included in the next
refresh and it looks like the added gain/loss isn't recognized. Sigh. I
should have figured that out much sooner than I did.

I also played with the lots mechanism and yeah it's definitely a handy
tool, thanks for the pointer. I couldn't get the UI to let me select
multiple splits to add at once, but it still seems to be the way to go.
It should work for 99% of my sell transactions, and the remainder are
ones involving transfers without sales, which I can handle on my own.
I've had very few of those anyway (maybe 2 or 3). I tried the Scrub
mechanism, but it seemed to alter transactions in my ledger and I'd
rather not go that route.

Thanks.

Lisa