[GNC] Is the .gnc suffix now the default?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 15:42:59 EDT 2021

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 12:00 PM Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> I'm running gnucash 4.4 on Linux,

> Also is it possible to have some sort of configuration file to set
> command line options?  I'd like to default to --nofile whenever I run
> gnucash as I just about never want the same accounts file twice.

I suggest you can create a custom shortcut for your desktop manager to open
GnuCash using whatever options you want, including creating a separate menu
action to open each of your gnucash files.

In Ubuntu 21.04 running GNOME I have a right-click menu for the launcher
that opens each of my nine GnuCash book files. In versions of Ubuntu
running GNOME, I find that the edited GnuCash.desktop file goes into the
~/.local/share/applications/ directory and must be flagged "executable" to
be visible to the launcher. I haven't tried it in other desktop
environments.

Years ago I created a page on the GnuCash wiki for customizing Unity
launchers, but sadly those instructions aren't completely compatible with
GNOME, and I have not updated the page since Ubuntu deprecated Unity.
Somewhere around here I have a sample .desktop file I created to use as an
example, but you can learn a lot by looking at some of the existing
applications.

I just searched the web and discovered an application called MenuLibre.
It's in the Ubuntu repositories so I installed it. MenuLibre successfully
opened my custom GnuCash launcher file and showed each custom right-click
command under "Actions" at the bottom of the screen.

https://bluesabre.org/menulibre/

MenuLibre claims to be compatible with many (most common) desktop
environments, not just GNOME. Maybe you will find it helpful.

Be sure to report back either way!