[GNC] Is the .gnc suffix now the default?

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Aug 24 04:43:22 EDT 2021

Op dinsdag 24 augustus 2021 10:20:06 CEST schreef Chris Green:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 02:05:38AM +0200, Frank H. Ellenberger wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Am 23.08.21 um 19:37 schrieb D. via gnucash-user:
> > > Per
> > > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_What.27s_the_GnuCash_file_extensio
> > > n.3F
> > >
> > > ".gnucash" is the data file extension.

.gnucash

> Personally I'd much prefer
> .gnc for less clutter in directory listings and a more 'standard'
> three letter suffix.

I don't think it's more 'standard'. It used to be a DOS restriction that has shaped habit for
many Windows users and developers. This is no longer the case even on Windows (.docx,
.xslx,...)
While effectively short, a three letter extension is much less expressive and susceptible to
extension collisions (which do happen). That is two applications can end up using the same
extension for their files but are not compatible. So your system can't reliably determine which
application to open when such a file is double-clicked.

> Or, even better, no suffix at all but that only
> really works on *nix systems where the suffix is mostly unnecessary.

File extension is still optional. And it is on all platforms. However if you want to have file
associations, extensions are the way to go - even on linux (for desktop environments such as
KDE or Gnome that is).

As you are mainly command line focused this doesn't affect you that much of course.

Regards,

Geert