[GNC] Bitcoin is legal currency in El Salvador - why notadd BTC?

Colin Arndt colinfarndt at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 21:37:30 EST 2021

To set the record straight, David is correct. Over a long period of time I had BTC set up as a custom security bringing in quotes via Yahoo JSON. You simply need to enter ‘BTC-USD’ as the symbol, since this is the format Yahoo Finance uses, as well as allow 8 decimal places (Fraction traded = 1/100,000,000). Attached is a screenshot of the full settings I used in the Security Editor.

Michael, it seems your concern with bringing in quotes is that Bitcoin is not sufficiently liquid or available for public trading? In a former life I traded Bitcoin and I can tell you that is certainly not the case (unless you live in China or a handful of other oppressive countries where it is banned). John made the point earlier that its primary use is as a speculative vehicle, not a currency, used by traders. That is certainly true. Others have mentioned how much is traded daily (I can’t remember how many billions it is at the moment). It is highly liquid.

Considering this is an issue that regularly comes up on the list, it might save everyone some time if there were a statement or section on the Wiki. (Just searched around and didn’t find one).

I would be happy to contribute something incorporating John’s earlier comments: Bitcoin is not supported as a currency in GnuCash and will not be until it is added to [insert ISO standard he mentioned]. However, it can be added as a custom security with [lengthier version of the instructions I gave above].

Best,
Colin