[GNC] Does anyone produce a "UK balance sheet" (FRS 102) ?

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 19:41:31 EST 2021

I realise this is not something the developers can realistically do, but I
wonder if anyone has configured GnuCash to produce a balance sheet that
looks like one that would be submitted to Companies House in the UK? (I
attached a copy of mine, without obfuscating it, since the data can be
found online at Companies House).

Whenever I pick up a book on accounting, it normally shows something like
this.

1) Adds up all the fixed assets, and gives a total for fixed assets.
2) Adds up all the current assets, and gives a total for current assets
3) Adds the fixed and current assets to get a total of *all *assets

That all seems very logical to me.

*But a balance sheet submitted to Companies House does not show the total
assets.* One would have to get a calculator out to work them out, by adding
the fixed assets and current assets.  I thought this very weird, and
perhaps just a bizarre way my accountant produces the balance sheet, so I
checked another UK company. That was exactly the same. The balance sheet is
prepared in accordance with FRS 102. That's a 404 page document

https://www.frc.org.uk/getattachment/69f7d814-c806-4ccc-b451-aba50d6e8de2/FRS-102-FRS-applicable-in-the-UK-and-Republic-of-Ireland-(March-2018).pdf

with numerous amendments (some related to coronavirus). Realistically,
that's only going to be readable by someone with a good knowledge of
accounting - not an engineer/scientist like me. So I did not bother looking
at that.

Looking down the balance sheet for my company I see the following in order

1) Tangible Fixed Assets
2) Current Assets
3) Creditors amounts falling due within one year.
4) Net current liabilities (that's equal to #2 - #3)
5) Total assets less current liabilities (that's #1 + #2 - #3)
6) Provision for liabilities  - I can't work out how that's calculated, but
I see it is of uncertain timing and amounts. I guess I should ask my
accountant how he came up with the figure. (*With the usual disclaimers,
does anyone know whether that would be sensibly listed in GnuCash as a
liability, despite its only an estimate?*)
7) Net assets (I can't work out how that's arrived at)
8) Shareholders - same as net assets.

I think I will write myself a computer program, that tries every
combination of figures to arrive at others. I think if I add every
combination, I will get there eventually. I have a computer with two
26-core CPUs and 384 GB RAM, so I should just about have enough computer
power. 😂

I'm thinking there's a good chance that someone in the UK has decided to
make his/her balance sheet the same, despite it seems rather obscure.

Dave