[GNC] MacOS - Unable to access files after upgrade to MacOS 12.0.1 Monterey

Warren Madden svurg at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 11 19:04:16 EST 2021

I just upgraded my Mac Mini to MacOS 12.0.1 Monterey, and now I cannot open my GnuCash file. It appears to be a permissions issue. Upon starting GnuCash 4.8-2, I get an error dialog saying it can't parse the URL followed by the path to my .gnucash file. When I acknowledge this dialog, the open file dialog comes up, immediately followed by another error dialog on top titled "Could not read the contents of GnuCash" with text below saying that there was an error opening my GnuCash directory in Documents, followed by "Operation not permitted".
If I clear this error dialog and try to navigate to any other location, I get the same "Operation not permitted" result.
So it appears that Monterey doesn't think GnuCash has any access rights.

I then checked the System Preferences>Security & Privacy>Privacy>Files and Folders settings page. GnuCash is not on the list of applications, and the + button is grayed out (even after I unlock the lock).
I _can_ add GnuCash to the Full Disk Access list, but I really try to limit the applications I do that for.
Before I go that route, is there something obvious I'm missing? Is there some way I can get MacOS to prompt me if I want to grant access to my Documents/GnuCash directory short of giving it access to my entire disk?
Thanks in advance!