[GNC] Encoding;was: Bitcoin …

Fred Bone Fred at mandfb.me.uk
Mon Dec 13 13:13:43 EST 2021

On 13 December 2021 at 10:23, Dustin Henning said:

> FWIW, if anyone is trying to narrow down a cause here, I've not seen the
> errant question marks outside of that reply to my e-mail that I asked
> about.  I'm also e-mailing on a Mac, but I don't receive digests, and I
> use Thunderbird.

My diagnosis FWIW:
1. Your sentences were followed by U+0080 NONBREAK SPACE instead of
normal space. The UTF-8 encoding for this is xC2 x80
2. Colin, whose reply displayed the "?", was replying to the plaintext
digest and not to your message (as may be seen from the In-Reply-To:
header). The plaintext digest is evidently in ASCII, and the xC2 is not
representable so is converted to "?".