[GNC] A repository for user-contributed files

D. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 19:36:20 EST 2021

Dr. Kirkby,

I appreciate your enthusiasm for this idea.

I honestly doubt you'll get many contributors.

When I joined the Gnucash community back in 2006, one of the areas I'd hoped for improvement was in reporting, and I raised the issue in the lists. It was suggested to me at the time that the tools existed for users to contribute their own reports-- and that those reports might then get added to the project. I was directed to a guide for programming in Scheme and the Gnucash wiki pages for creating one's own custom reports.

And that's where my dreams of contributing custom reports to gnucash died. Writing reports for gnucash in Scheme is hellaciously complicated (no offense, Derek!), and most of my energy now has been focused on how to manipulate the existing reports to do something close to my goals.

Judging by the paucity of actual new reports (never mind fixes to existing ones, which languished for years and years until Christopher Lam came along)(thank you, Chris!!) in the Gnucash stable of reports over the years, I'd have to say my own experience is rather common.

Far more useful, in my opinion, is for users to share their tricks for getting gnucash to do their bidding, for which pages on the wiki (such as https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Using_GnuCash) were created to allow.

Best,
David T.