[GNC] 4.9 on Ubuntu 20.04 not saving preferences

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 15:10:02 EST 2021

Tim,

Any changes to the gtk setup files are going to be inunder
/home/<user>/.config/gnucash. If you check the date accessed for gtk3.0.css in
the filemanager. This should be the date and time you last started GnuCash. You
may need to aldd the date Accessed to the display window. Right click on the
header bar and check the Date Acessed in the drop down list.  ANy customized
reports will be in a "gnucash directory under this location

The user preferences and meta data files are located under
/home/<user>/.local/share/gnucash. If you check the data accessed in the file
manager on the saved-reports-2.8, stylesheets-2.0 and accelerator-map. it should
also be set at the date/time of last access. In the subdirectory books you will
find a file with the same name as your datafile with a .gcm extension. The date
accessed on this should also be similar. If so this will indicate that GNuCash
is finding the locations.

These locations and their contents on the various OS's and GC versions are
detailed in https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations.

If not, it would appear that there is a problem locating these files on your
system. I built GC4.9 on Linux Mint 20.2 last night and installed to /usr/local
and it is working without any problems. I use a dark theme and have modified a
few colors to suit and these have all been retained. The account colors are
stored in the data file and these have also been retained in 4.9 on my system.
Ubuntu 20.04 should not be significantly different from Linux Mint.

In the above web page there are a number of environment variables which can be
set if these directories are not in the standard locations. They are not be set
by default but can be set if your config data is not in the default locations.
If you can locate the files you could try setting the environment variables to
the locations in which you find the files.

Hope this helps , if not come back to the forum.

David Cousens