[GNC] how to remove both GNC 4.2 and Flathub version 4.8 so can upgrade to 4.9 on Ubuntu 20.04lts

david whiting dw at davidwhiting.me.uk
Fri Dec 24 09:30:42 EST 2021

On Fri, 24 Dec 2021 at 09:11, Jeff <beastmaster126 at hotmail.com> wrote:

[...]
> But it appears I am not even a day old computer programmer, after 40
> plus years of coding.  For the life of me I cannot get the 4.9 code and
> tools for Ubuntu to install.  I've followed every link I can find, even
> those that David Cousins provided and I still cannot get the source or
> dependencies to install or download.
>
> Would someone please list for me in baby steps howto download and build
> GNC 4.9 for Ubuntu?

Hi Jeff,

The script below will build version 4.9 on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. I have
verified this on a clean installation of Ubuntu.
One thing that tripped me up a few times is remembering to tick
"Source Code" in the Software And Updates dialogue. If you don't do
this, it will fail.
Please note that I have used -y with apt install so it will install
and build without asking.

I will try to get around to putting this in the wiki to make it easier
for people to find.

=== build.sh ===

## Ubuntu 20.04
## In "Software and Updates":
## Tick "Source code"
## Tick "Community-maintained free and open-source software (Universe)"

## Change this if you want to build it somewhere else.
SOURCEDIR="$HOME/Documents/gnucash/source"
BUILDDIR="$HOME/Documents/gnucash/build"

## Change this if you want to install it somewhere else.
INSTALLDIR=/opt/gnucash

sudo apt -y update
sudo apt -y upgrade
sudo apt -y install git
sudo apt -y build-dep gnucash

## To build series 4 of gnucash on Ubuntu 20.04
sudo apt -y install libboost-program-options1.71-dev

mkdir -p $SOURCEDIR
mkdir -p $BUILDDIR

## Clone gnucash source from git
git clone https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash.git $SOURCEDIR

## Checkout version 4.9
cd $SOURCEDIR
git checkout -b 4.9 4.9

cd $BUILDDIR
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$INSTALLDIR $SOURCEDIR

make

=== End of build.sh ===

Fingers-crossed this will work for you.

David