[GNC] how to remove both GNC 4.2 and Flathub version 4.8 so can upgrade to 4.9 on Ubuntu 20.04lts

Jeff beastmaster126 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 24 04:09:57 EST 2021

On 12/20/21 6:31 AM, davidcousens49 at gmail.com wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> Just built GC4.9 on Linux Mint 20.2  (Ubuntu 20.04 based) with no problems. Give
> it a go and come back to the forum with the terminal output if there are any
> problems.  You can select any terminal output and cut and paste it into a text
> file then attache the text file to the post to avoid putting it directly in the
> post.
> David Cousens
>
> On Mon, 2021-12-20 at 02:12 -0600, Jeff wrote:
>> I currently have GNC Version 4.2 installed on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. At the
>> recommendation of a former post for info I also have 4.8 from flat-hub
>> somewhere on my system (have yet to find out where or how to remove it).
>>
>> 4.2 is is in the launch bar and has desktop icons to multiple sets of
>> books.  The only way I have found to run 4.8 is in software manager and
>> have to change books manually (which 4.8 also had the nasty habit of
>> creating backup files on the desktop for some reason).
>>
>> 1) How do I uninstall both versions?
>>
>> 2) how do I install 4.9 (preferably without Flathub)?  I also need
>> desktop icons to launch GNC from the desktop for multiple sets of books
>> (lucky me, I am the accountant/tax man for the entire family!  I won't
>> even go into what condition I receive financial records in).
>>
>> I am not opposed to building from source code but; all of my tries have
>> so far failed miserably on GNC.
>>
>> It's a simple mater under Windoze but so far nothing I have tried works
>> on Ubuntu.  And yes, I need the desktop icons for each set of books as
>> the icons are linked to each individuals books across multiple drives on
>> remote servers not just mine. My memory has had to many read/write
>> cycles to keep track of who is on which server drive and file name.

> .

Okay, I am missing something simple here and I cannot figure it out.
I've followed every post and document I can find using duck-duck go to
find to howto build GNC 4.9.

I successfully uninstalled 4.2 sickly life and 4.8 flathub.

But it appears I am not even a day old computer programmer, after 40
plus years of coding.  For the life of me I cannot get the 4.9 code and
tools for Ubuntu to install.  I've followed every link I can find, even
those that David Cousins provided and I still cannot get the source or
dependencies to install or download.

Would someone please list for me in baby steps howto download and build
GNC 4.9 for Ubuntu?

--
--JEffrey Black M.B.A.