[GNC] Correcting reconciles

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Dec 27 19:30:49 EST 2021

On 12/27/21 6:07 PM, David Carlson wrote:
> One more issue that I rarely see mentioned in these discussions about
> reconciliation problems is that there are some cases where attempting to
> correct an error in one account of a transaction can unreconcile a
> different account in that same transaction.  At the moment I cannot
> elaborate on a specific example, but I recall that has been a problem for
> me  in the past.  I think it may be when I wanted to change the date,
> description or the transaction number, which will affect all split lines in
> the transaction.

As it should. (at least for date and amount, the others are arguable,
but I think those rules have been relaxed)

If you change the date of a transaction, it may be out of the period it
was reconciled in, which would mean it maybe shouldn't have been
reconciled or leaving it reconciled may adversely affect other
reconciliations. (thus throwing them off)

If you know for a fact it is correct and there are no issues, simply run
a reconciliation for that transaction or transactions right after making
your edits.

You get a warning about the status changing, unless of course, you've
suppressed that warning. (you can undo this if you wish and turn the
warning back on via Actions > Reset Warnings.)

I recall a recent thread where the warning appeared, the user clicked
'Cancel' but the edit happened anyway and the flag was changed. I'd call
that a bug.

Regards,
Adrien