[GNC] How can I fudge a quotation in GnuCash and convert it to invoice if accepted?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Dec 29 15:16:46 EST 2021

On 12/29/21 7:00 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 at 03:41, Adrien Monteleone <
> adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:
>
>> I thought the document number was assigned on creation, but I'd have to
>> verify. (you can't delete an invoice for example, and you'd have to
>> change the number to something like 'use next' if you made an error
>> creating it)
>

> If the invoice can not be deleted before posting, that would probably mean
> it is unsuitable for use in the UK, as I believe invoice numbers have to be
> created sequentially.  One should *not* have invoice numbers of 1, 2, 4, 7
> etc.

That shouldn't be a problem since you can edit the numbers if need be.
But that would mean you'd need to devise of separate quote number
system. (investigate File > Properties where you can set numbering schemes)

There are plenty of UK users here on this list. I'm sure one of them can
give some tips in this regard.

>> The Business Features originally were created by a dev for their own
>> limited use case. Some UI improvements and bug fixes have been made over
>> the years, but the functionality hasn't really been expanded much for
>> some time. (I think Credit Notes being added was the last major change
>> and that was way back in 2.4.x or early 2.6.x)
>

> The user interface is obviously important, but the lack of some basic
> functionality is annoying. >
> The other thing that I would like (support for crypto currencies) is
> something that I expect I could easily add to the source code myself. But
> there’s no way I could add the invoice/proforma invoice, is not something
> that I am going to be able to do.
>
> I will have a look around and see if other open-source software that might
> meet my needs better.
>
> I think the ability to convert a quotation into an invoice, *and also to a
> proforma invoice*, is pretty is pretty important.

Quotations/Proformas are not basic functionality. They aren't even
'accounting'. (Invoices and Credit Notes are however)

(though as I noted before, some preliminary work has been done on
quotations, but it has not been finalized or implemented yet)

Best of luck.

Regards,
Adrien