[GNC] How can I fudge a quotation in GnuCash and convert it to invoice if accepted?

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Thu Dec 30 05:05:25 EST 2021

On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 13:00:30 +0000
"Dr. David Kirkby" <drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:

> If the invoice can not be deleted before posting, that would probably
> mean it is unsuitable for use in the UK, as I believe invoice numbers
> have to be created sequentially.  One should *not* have invoice
> numbers of 1, 2, 4, 7 etc.

Some Eastern European jurisdictions have some rules on this too, and I
think they have been discussed many years back. Perhaps Slovenia was
one such place.
I was of course wondering if the sequence 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13 etc would
be acceptable?

Invoice numbers in Gnucash are sequential in a legalistic way, it is
simply incremented.
Not every number results in an invoice to be paid, but that is (to me)
analogous to cancelling a cheque, you had that one, but never spent it
so its number doesn't appear in a statement.

I make invoices for items which are being invoiced through a subsidiary
program, where my Gnucash invoices represent a total for a time period,
because it makes accounting for the income easier. Only myself and my
accountant will ever see the evidence of those invoices. Each uses
a number in my sequence, and if the ATO comes calling, I can
demonstrate that I haven't hidden my income, which is of course all
they are worried about.

Liz