[GNC] 4.9 account set up of going business

Rogier F. van Vlissingen vliscony at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 07:58:46 EST 2021

Hi:
yes, thanks for all your help.

Yesterday, I figured it out in another thread, and I am sitting here
feeling stupid, for it turns out the answer was the same as it was in 3.8,
when I originally set it up there. Namely, do not use the opening balance
feature in the account setup, but rather, simply create the CofA without
entering any opening balances and then create a single opening transaction
in the Journal, to set up all the opening balances, in one multiple split
transaction. Doing it that way, you can immediately check also with
Imbalance-USD - if you make any entry mistakes the difference will show, so
you have an instant check.

That is the solution, so now I have happily moved to V4.9, using the
flatpak route, since Linux Mint is still stuck at V3.8.

The other mistake I arguably had made was that I entered the whole year in
one session without exiting after every monthly reconciliation, and as a
result I had no backups, so that, when those two mystery transactions
somehow dropped out, I was not in a position to revert to end Nov and just
do over December. However, it was because another user reported having had
a similar issue that I made up my mind to move to 4.9 to remove any doubt.
The active users all seem to be on 4.9 as I see on this list.

I was all childishly simple... once you figure it out.

In short, I will now finish both 2020 and 2021 in V4.9 before the year is
out.