[GNC] Changing multiple transactions

Stephen M. Butler Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 13:42:03 EST 2021

On 2/1/21 4:45 AM, Michael or Penny Novack wrote:
> On 1/31/2021 5:30 PM, Stephen M. Butler wrote:
>
>> To err is human.  It requires a computer to really foul things up --
>> especially if you ask the DBA (me in a former life) to fix a few
>> million transactions with "this script").
>

> As somebody who did this sort of thing in my working days, I will
> second what Stephen just said. Leave it to the pros. It is very easy
> to get this sort of thing wrong << I'd be the person they'd ask "Mike,
> can you write something to convert the database instead of having a
> dozen workers sit at their terminal for a couple weeks re-entering the
> corrected data?" >>  It wasn't the sort of thing even the average
> programmer in the shop could be trusted to get right.
         ^^^^^
Many times they tried and failed.  Then it was, "hey, can you fix
this?"  Sometimes it could be done.  Most times "Sorry, its FUBAR. Need
to rollback."  and "Why did you get a copy of production put into the
test environment to do the final test?"  Results --> dear in headlights
look.

Had one friend who worked for that big kite factory around Seattle. His
complaint was their attitude of "Production if good".

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com
kg7je at arrl.net